Training Your Mind: Slowing Down
Slowing Down means fully focusing on one thing at a time and taking your time with everything you do. Our days are usually filled to an extent that we keep putting off things that we have always wanted to do. Are all the activities necessary? Do they bring us or our loved ones happiness?
Following exercise, from the book Take Your Time by Eknath Eswaran, can help with training our mind to recognize the activities that are truly important to us. It helps find the time, that we are always lacking, to slow down.
Remember to be kind to yourself during this exercise; be non-judgemental and truthful.
- Make a list of things you do daily.
- From this list figure out the activities that add to your knowledge or give you satisfaction.
- From the rest of the activities, pick two activities and eliminate those for a few weeks from your daily life.
- For example, do not check your phone for messages or social media updates first thing in the morning.
- Instead of this, use this 15 minutes to take a walk outside or do your favorite exercise routine or meditation.
- Repeat this exercise periodically until you find a routine that is unhurried.